Thursday, March 18, 2010

finding my inner Mediterranean...

Blue Blooded, most definitely a work in progress!

Here is a 'warts and all' picture of Blue Blooded. Yes, it had become a mess. When I work with paint I am often guilty of working too quickly. I overwork my canvas and in the joy of flinging that paint around I end up with "Yuck!". That doesn't happen when I work with cps. Well, not until this week. I got working so fast on this Colourfix paper that I quickly lost my senses and boom, crash, I stepped back and thought "Yuck this isn't working!" (It wasn't just the warm weather that sent me to the patio with a glass of wine - yesterday's post.)

So today, I put the paper on my teaching board (yes, I put my St. Pat's party boa in the studio for a bit of decoration) and I 'sucked it up' as it were. I admitted that pressing on wouldn't save it. I had too many goofy busy bits and I had lost sight of all of the veiny, sinewy, curves that I had wanted to convey. So, I rolled up my sleeves, heaved a sigh and reached for my electric eraser. Time to remove the warts in my 'warts and all'! Within minutes my pleasure with this piece returned. With the offending bits removed it was time to refocus and to get sensuous. Those curving lines had to get put down.

It was time to find my inner Mediterranean! First up, to set the mood I lit some incense. I have several kinds in the studio. The one chosen today is called China Moon. It is a "vibrant musk" and for mood it is all about "sacred sensuality and Feng Shui balancing". Well, that musky, sensuality bit seemed just right! Next, I hunted up some Mediterranean music - a CD of Mediterranean guitar by Pavlo. Cranked up, this seemed just right too. I worked standing at the teaching board so I could step back often for a better view...and so I could dance. I was wiggling my hips (channeling my inner Flamenco dancer) and snapping my fingers. I am sure it wasn't pretty but hey, I fortunately don't share my studio space with anyone! :-)

And woo-hoo, now Blue Blooded looks like this...


Blue Blooded, work in progress, coloured pencil on Colourfix paper, 19" x 17"
Copyright Teresa Mallen

There are still a couple of things to tweak but I am liking the curves and the overall composition again. I like where it is going. Whew! The moral of the story, face the truth. If you have to go backwards by erasing, do it. Sometimes it is the only way forward.

16 comments:

Ester Roi said...

Hi Teresa, I really like "Blue Blooded". I'm so glad you didn't give up! I think your inner Mediterranean is working its way through your painting. As you said, I'm swinging on my swing, you're dancing to music... whatever works!

Jeanette Jobson said...

I'm glad Blue Blooded got back on track again. I'm fascinated by it and what the final piece will look like. I think it does have that Mediterranean feel to it. The music worked (or was it the wine? :O)

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Ester! No one could accuse us of suffering for our art! LOL

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Jeanette, I am sure the music helped! I am going to grab some more flamenco guitar CDs from my husband's collection. Wine is on stand by if required. :-)

Lynda Schumacher said...

What a lovely and intriguing piece, Teresa. Clearly the dancin' and drinkin' are working for you. Myself?........I have been listening to Madonna's "Vogue" over and over again! (I know, I know.....it doesn't seem to quite suit the horse image, but whatever works, heh?)

Anonymous said...

I love this Teresa, the colours curves and curls are beautiful...hope the incense and music works for you...could do with some of that myself since I seem to have accquired a bad case of artists block !

Autumn Leaves said...

I just love the colors and the background paper color is phenomenal for this piece. I can't wait to see it completed! Can you pass the wine over here? God knows I need something! LOLOL

Teresa Mallen said...

Lynda, Madonna's Vogue?!! Well that well get you grooving! LOL Now every time I look at your horses, I shall hear Madonna singing in the background! :-)

Hi Vic, do try the dancing tunes! And yes I do like incense to set the mood and I also have a small water fountain in my studio that bubbles and gurgles in an enjoyable way. Seriously though, I would suggest looking through art books, magazines, photo references, anything visual that might help get the juices flowing again. Hang in there! :-)

Hi A.L., seems like we have the drinking and dancing crowd showing up in the comments!! LOL

Gillian Mowbray said...

Beautiful - it looks like irridescent film on bubbles!

Marthann's Musings said...

Wow, I love it Teresa. I was introduced in a more intense way last summer. Took a mandala class from Carla McConnell for Washington state. Do you know her? I know she was a founding member of the ACPS.
Your work makes me want to get the colored pencils out again.

Jennifer Rose said...

love the shapes and swirls :D could get lost in them trying to figure out everything I can see

Kathy said...

I love this piece! Your post was so much fun to read--I could just imagine you flamenco dancing ; ). Thanks for that little tidbit about erasing with the electric eraser---I have just started exploring cp and I thought I couldn't erase at all. *big exhale* thanks!

Gary Keimig said...

Maybe I should be doing Mediterranian and dancing while painting on my deer painting. Blue Blooded is looking great to me, so if that works. Why not?

Brenda said...

This is a stunning piece. I love the flow to it and the colors.

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Gillian, "irridescent film on bubbles", now that is cool. :-) Thanks for sharing!

M.M. - another interesting observation. You see mandala work going on here? Well hey, I guess that is what abstracts do, they suggest different things to different people. Sorry, I don't know Carla McConnell. I am glad you like the piece and thanks for taking the time to comment!

Hi Jennifer Rose. I think getting lost in my art is a good thing. No?? :-)

kslaughter, glad you liked the bad dancing image. hehe... Oh goodness, yes you can get rid of cp boo-boos. You can lift pigment with tape (Scotch or masking tape depending on how much you wish to remove and the surface you are working on) or you can use an electric eraser. I shall post something about this in case others are wondering.

Hi Gary - get those hips moving! Come on, for the sake of your art!!! :-)

Thanks so much Brenda!

Jennifer Rose said...

getting lost in art is def. a good thing :)