Friday, November 21, 2008

Coloured Pencil Portrait WIP continues...

Melissa's Portrait, Work in Progress
Coloured Pencil on Stonehenge
Copyright Teresa Mallen

It's looking a bit better now...the background is a bit dark in this photo. As you can see, I am working on a bit of everything at the moment. I hop about when I work. I work on an eye, then the neck, then a bit on the sweater, then a bit on the hair. Part of this is because I want to start getting a sense of my darkest values. Also, part of it is because I get seduced away from a spot rather easily! I go after the stuff that is fun to draw. I love drawing fabric so the folds on the hood were the first to get worked on.

You can't see it here, but I did fix the drawing errors before going any further.

Okay, back to the studio...Do you hop around your work too?

1 comment:

Jeanette Jobson said...

This looks wonderful so far Teresa. It will be a fabulous portrait.

I hop around too sometimes. I always draw the eyes first, because if they don't go well, the rest will not be good. I usually model the main features first, then start on the skin tones and do some of the clothing as well, to get an idea of values against the skin.