Thursday, June 5, 2008

You are going to do what with your life?


Did you ever consider a career in the arts? Do you think it is impossible? Did you ever think you might like to be a singing quilter? Let me just hazard a guess here to say that I bet that career option has never come to your mind. I'll also bet a highschool guidance counsellor has never recommended it either. This blog entry is all about possibilities!

Guess what? I have met someone who actually has a career as a singing quilter. Honestly. Incredible right?! And you thought your ideas were 'out there'!

My husband and I are new to this area of rural Ottawa. We moved in about six months ago. Since then we have been warmly welcomed by our neighbours. Like most rural areas there is a very interesting mix of folks. From farmers, to independent back to the land types, to brilliant eccentrics that engage in 'interesting' past times. We recently attended a house party hosted by one of the local 'characters'. His brother was visiting from B.C. and his wife is the singing quilter. I kid you not. She has been a singer/songwriter all her adult life. She has written for theatre productions, recorded CDs, toured the folk festival circuit, and taught singing lessons. She took up quilting and a whole new chapter of her life opened up. She met the man who is now her husband and they have embarked on a life of traveling all over the world singing to quilters! For the last seven years she has only written songs that involve quilting stories and she also sells her quilts and now teaches various quilting techniques.

Her name is Cathy Miller (that's her picture at top of this entry) and her husband is John Bunge. They put on a very entertaining concert at this house party. After a couple of glasses of wine, I whispered to my husband that this is what we are going to do when we retire...that's me the party animal.

I urge you to go to Cathy's website, just click here. You will see that I am not making this up.

So what do you want to do when you grow up? What's stopping you? Obviously anything is possible!

No comments: